When it comes to aquariums, there are a few things that you don’t want to cut corners on, especially ones that affect the safety of your fish. One of those is the sealant you use to create your tank’s lid and seams.
Silicone is a common material for security, as it is inexpensive and waterproof; however, not all silicone can be used for aquarium life.
So, what’s the difference between aquarium silicone and regular silicone? Which should you be using for your tank? Keep reading for all the answers.
What is Aquarium silicone?
Aquarium silicone is a type of silicone specifically formulated for use in aquariums.
Formula: Aquarium silicone is made from a variety of different materials, but the most common type is silicon dioxide (SiO2). This material is found in sand, glass, and many types of rocks.
Silicon dioxide is very resistant to heat, water, and chemicals, making it an ideal choice in aquariums.
Features: It is made to be safe for fish and other aquatic creatures. Such a product can resist water and salt degradation. Aquarium silicone is also available in various colors, though clear silicone is the most popular choice.
Aquarium silicone is also clear, which allows light to pass through it. This feature makes it ideal for creating aquarium backgrounds or using in place of glass in some aquarium designs.
Uses: Aquarium silicone has many uses, including sealing aquariums, holding decorations in place, and creating custom shapes and designs. It is also frequently used to repair leaks in aquariums.
Aquarium silicone is available in both liquid and gel form.
- Liquid aquarium silicone is easy to apply and can be used for a variety of purposes.
- Gel aquarium silicone is thicker than liquid silicone and is better suited for creating custom shapes and designs.
Aquarium silicone is typically sold in tubes or bottles, and it can be found at most pet stores or online retailers.
What is Regular silicone?
Formula : Regular silicone is a type of synthetic rubber that is made from silicon, oxygen, and other ingredients.
Features: It has many benefits over natural rubber, including its resistance to heat, cold, and UV light.
Regular silicone is available in various colors, including clear, white, black, and red. It can also be translucent or opaque.
Uses: Regular silicone can be used in various applications, such as seals, gaskets, and adhesives; therefore, it is used in many industries, including the automotive, aerospace, and construction industries.
There are two main types of regular silicone: non-reactive and reactive.
- Non-reactive silicone does not cure when exposed to air, while reactive silicone will cure when exposed to air.
- Reactive silicone is often used in medical applications because it forms a strong bond with human tissue.
Aquarium silicone vs Regular silicone
Aquarium silicone is the best choice for use in an aquarium environment. If you use regular silicone in your aquarium, be sure to clean it regularly.
- Aquarium silicone is more flexible than regular silicone, making it less likely to crack or break under the weight of water or rocks.
- It is also more resistant to algae and bacteria growth, making it safer for use in an aquarium environment.
- Regular silicone can be used in an aquarium environment, but it is not as well suited for the task as aquarium silicone. Regular silicone is more likely to crack or break under the weight of water or rocks, and it is also more susceptible to algae and bacteria growth.
- Aquarium silicone is more expensive than regular silicone, but its superior performance is worth the investment. A
- Aquarium silicone is typically clear, while regular silicone may be opaque. Regular silicone can also discolor the water.
The winner is aquarium silicone. This type of silicone is specially formulated to be safe for fish and other aquatic creatures, making it the perfect choice for your aquarium projects.
Now that you know the difference between aquarium silicone and regular silicone, you can make the best decision for your next project. Have you ever used aquarium silicone before? What was your experience like? Let us know in the comments below!
I grew up with a fish tank in my house, and my parents would take me to the local aquarium every chance they got. This passion led me to start NationalparkAquarium.org, which I use to share my love and passion.